Sunday, June 12, 2005

Julia Sweeney's "Letting Go of God"

     Julia Sweeney is a former cast member of Saturday Night Live and last week was featured on WBEZ radio on a show called This American Life, in a segment titled Godless America describing her transition from Christianity to atheism. This is an excerpt from her monologue Letting Go of God which has received great reviews from the L.A. Times. The part of the show that she is featured on starts at about the 29 minute mark in case you don't want to listen to the whole thing. She talks about how she lost faith from reading the stories and atrocities that are in the Bible. She also has a fairly interesting website in which she has a regularly updated blog, bio, and plans for her monologue's debut in CD and DVD form. She has a book coming out next Spring which is based on the material from her monologue titled My Beautiful Loss of Faith Story.
    I think this is great because it's just one more instance of positive publicity for atheists who are generally stereotyped as being anything but what they truly are. Also, I think her book could appeal to a different sort of audience than most atheist media can usually reach. For example, I can't imagine the average stay-at-home mom reading Why I'm Not A Christian by the philosopher Bertrand Russell but I could imagine her reading a book like Julia is writing.

4 comments:

Aaron Kinney said...

Julia Sweeney kicks ass. I know her monologue performance is happening or was happening in my part of town (Los Angeles) but I never got a chance to check it out. I will definitely pick up the DVD though.

In other news, the "God Who Wasnt There" DVD that I ordered is delayed due to a 2000% spike in orders for the production company. I dont mind this at all. Its a good thing to see Brian Flemmings movie create so much interest.

Anyway, good post! :)

Delta said...

Thanks AK! I got the same message about my DVD as well and I was actually more happy to read it than upset. I was looking at the site a few minutes ago and it says that there is an audio commentary from The Raving Atheist on the DVD. I didn't know that was on there, and that should be pretty interesting.

Anonymous said...

Julia Sweeney does kick ass. I've listened to her monologue. I've also read Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion" which converted me to atheism. Then I read Sam Harris's "The end of Faith". Right now I'm reading Bertrand Russell's "Why I'm not a Christian". Guess what I do - I'm a stay-at-home mom! Of course I guess the average stay-at-home mom isnt an atheist.

Anonymous said...

thank you nice sharing
araba resimleri